What a weekend!
I can’t possibly express how thrilled I am with everyone and everything, but I’m going to try! Here’s a SHORT list of all the beautiful things that happened during our first magical cabaret:
– ridiculously fun audiences, some coming all the way from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to see the show!
– a completely sold out early show, and only six seats left at the late show!
– awesome write ups and photos in both the Centre Daily Times and the Daily Collegian
– eight new smiling inductees into our VIP club, the Bright Young Things!
– my beautiful friends Zee and Tonia came all the way from Pittsburgh to help with sound, lights, and backstage nerves!
– Little Tiggr kept me laughing and bouncing on stage, and she can flea hop better than any soul out there!
– James, our enthusiastic and helpful bartender, made my signature Cotton Club Fizz’s for everyone (recipe coming soon)!
– Mint Julep made sure all the Lovelies had a place to rest their head after such a ridiculously long day!
– Sherry, Dippin’ Dot, and Pepper Jack worked furiously to sell chocolate cigars, candy cigarettes, snacks, and LGL shot glasses all night!
– Little Tiggr performed a little birthday dance for Tim that simply defied description!
– Pocket Monae brought her personal fan club to the 10 pm show
– Bearcat Betty drove all the way from Frederick, MD with Pepper Jack to walk on glass for me!
– the staff at the State Theatre – Sarah, Emily, Greg, Steven, Karen… all went out of their way to help make this a success!
– Lucille Fireball was madly determined to push through feeling sick all weekend to kill her toe tap routines, and kept shoving bobby pins in my hair all night!
– Anna Sassin’ just kept handing me poker chips and saying “you have to do this now”. Thank the gods she was my project manager all night!
– The man who somehow convinced me that I had no need to panic, no
need to worry this past week, who managed to calm me when normally I’d go into full bitch mode. A huge thank you to Terry from me and ALL the Lovelies for food runs, shuttling beautiful women to and from the theatre, loading in and out, creating beautiful signage, showing up in a bow tie and a smile, and making sure our glasses were always full.
My heart is so full it could burst right now. I am thrilled so many of you were there with me to witness the birth of a vision. Here’s to speakeasy dreams, the continuation of live entertainment, and to living outrageously!
On the offchance you didn’t hear that it was Gene Kelly’s birthday today, we’re sending some celebration your way! Here is just a smattering of the very best videos of our dear Mr. Kelly — one of the most athletic and graceful dancers to have ever lived and a true triple threat!!
Check out all the amazing stars who had the opportunity to share the stage with him — we’d be completely star struck if we’d ever had the chance to meet him.
Happy birthday, Mr. Kelly. Enjoy that giant tap jam up in the sky!
I have so much to say about the work Savion is doing and how important it is, but I don’t have time to dive in today. As his contemporary and someone who has shared studio time and the stage with him, I believe he is a key player in keeping the tap community from splitting into camps like it did in the early 20th century.
Just watch this clip from NBC last night and decide for yourself.
So, maybe I’ve been living under a rock, but I’ve never heard of this a cappella group, Range, until I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole tonight. If you have heard the Hamilton soundtrack, this is a mindblowing mashup of all the songs in the musical in exactly 7 minutes. For me, the things that make it so incredible are the layering of songs and the beautifully unique tone each singer has. It helps that they’ve shot this video so artistically — with great angles and lighting and costuming. So inspired.
Need rhinestones? E6000? Sequin booty shorts?
For all you coupon clipping dancer types that are friends, fans, and fellow performers, I am sharing my Discount Dance Supply professional discount code (TP29255) for you to use! The coupon can be used multiple times and is good for a flat percent of 8% off your entire shopping cart!! This helps our company out, as I get a little credit for your purchases, which I bank to save for costume basics for the Lovelies.
You can use this as many times as you’d like, and feel free to forward this, as it is transferable to other people, too!
To use the code, simply enter it in the “Coupon or Teacher Code” box in your shopping cart. Your discount will be reflected on the final screen.
I’m still free for plenty of teaching and performing every month this year, so don’t hesitate to ask!
3/4 & 3/5 Open
3/11 & 3/12 Open
3/18 & 3/19 Open
4/1 & 4/2 Open (Philadelphia)
4/8 & 4/9 Open (DC)
5/6 & 5/7 Open
5/13 & 5/14 Open
6/11 Open (New York City)
6/17 & 6/18 Open
6/24 & 6/25 Open
7/8 & 7/9 Open (DC)
7/15 & 7/16 Open
7/22 & 7/23 Open (South Bend/Chicago)
7/29 & 7/30 Open
8/19 & 8/20 Open (South Bend/Chicago)
8/26 & 8/27 Open
9/9 & 9/10 Open
9/16 & 9/17 Open
9/23 & 9/24 Open
10/7 & 10/8 Open
10/21 – 10/23 TENTATIVE (San Francisco)
11/4 & 11/5 Open
12/16 & 12/17 Open