A few fun memories for you from our very first Lovely photo shoot last year. Hard to believe how much everyone has changed…
It’s Top 10 Tuesday and just a few weeks away from our first show of the season, so we’re here to offer you a few tips on getting the most out of your audience experience at our monthly cabaret!
1. Dressing up is half the fun! Our audiences love to dress with the theme of the show, whether full-blown cosplay or just a tiny suggestion of a character. We often will have an impromptu fashion show or costume contest with prizes, and you don’t want to miss out!
2. Don’t sprawl into the aisle. If you see an aisle set up down the middle of the seats, we PROMISE we’re going to use it. Careful not to get hurt! Also, remember that sitting in the front row and the aisle means you’re willing to be a part of the fun — think of it as a glitterific splash zone of sorts.
3. Bring a bit of cash with you. We always have fabulous things for sale, from Lady Grey’s Lovelies shot glass to Live Outrageously tshirts. There’s no pressure, but that sequin bag might your name written all over it…
4. Pick your flavor. Our two show times have very different vibes, even though they usually feature the same basic numbers. The 8 pm show is always a little more relaxed, and the 10 pm show is always a little more rowdy.
5. Get a season pass if you think you’re going to make it to most of the shows. The season subscription includes awesome perks you can’t get otherwise, including reserved seats, meet and greets, and signed souvenirs. It also gets you one show for free and you save on ticketing fees, so consider the incredible value!!
6. Buy your tickets ahead of time. We actually will set up our “house” based on the number of ticket sales to make sure seating feels comfortable for everyone, so it is super helpful to us to know before the day of the show, even if you only buy them a few days in advance.
7. Put your phone away. We want you to enjoy the performance as a live experience, not through a camera or while texting all night. Take advantage of photo opportunities with our Lovelies during intermission and after the show — we even have a strolling Polaroid photographer taking pics if you want a souvenir!
8. Use social media. We love when people check in to our shows, post on our Facebook page, tag us on Instagram, and more. If you DO take pics, whether of you and your friends pre-show, during the finale, with Lovelies during intermission, or even partying afterward, please post them to social media using the hashtag #ladygreyscabaret. We’d love to see!
9. Do not try and tip performers while they are performing. If you have a burning desire to give someone money, please see one of our stage kittens and they will make sure your gift is delivered to the right person. Also, we all accept flowers and chocolate, if you feel inspired.
10. Bring friends. This is a perfect date night, sure. But it also is hysterical fun for a big group of girlfriends (read: excuse to dress up) or a guys’ night out (aka wife-approved entertainment). Our cabarets are variety shows with a little something for everyone — from hilarious hosts and fantastic flappers to burlesque babies and sultry sopranos. Everyone is welcome!!!
So we’ll see you on September 23rd for our Speakeasy party on Opening Night! Come make our audience FANTASTIC!!!!
Lady Grey & the Lovelies
A dear friend sent me this link tonight, knowing that it perfectly captures the life I’ve led for years. From the picture perfect family crumbling down around her to the welcome attentions of a mosquito, this just about sums it up.
I promise to not play with matches, lovelies.
It is with great pleasure that I unveil our brand new, shiny and sparkly, Lady Grey’s Lovelies website! Information is being added to it daily, and we are hoping to have a glossier web address soon. But all of you, my beloved readers, are the people who have supported this dream… so I thought you deserved to see it in its first stages! We have begun building a mailing list and would love for you to subscribe (on our contact page) to stay updated on our performances, auditions, news, and other fun info!
Lady Grey’s Lovelies
What a weekend!
I can’t possibly express how thrilled I am with everyone and everything, but I’m going to try! Here’s a SHORT list of all the beautiful things that happened during our first magical cabaret:
– ridiculously fun audiences, some coming all the way from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to see the show!
– a completely sold out early show, and only six seats left at the late show!
– awesome write ups and photos in both the Centre Daily Times and the Daily Collegian
– eight new smiling inductees into our VIP club, the Bright Young Things!
– my beautiful friends Zee and Tonia came all the way from Pittsburgh to help with sound, lights, and backstage nerves!
– Little Tiggr kept me laughing and bouncing on stage, and she can flea hop better than any soul out there!
– James, our enthusiastic and helpful bartender, made my signature Cotton Club Fizz’s for everyone (recipe coming soon)!
– Mint Julep made sure all the Lovelies had a place to rest their head after such a ridiculously long day!
– Sherry, Dippin’ Dot, and Pepper Jack worked furiously to sell chocolate cigars, candy cigarettes, snacks, and LGL shot glasses all night!
– Little Tiggr performed a little birthday dance for Tim that simply defied description!
– Pocket Monae brought her personal fan club to the 10 pm show
– Bearcat Betty drove all the way from Frederick, MD with Pepper Jack to walk on glass for me!
– the staff at the State Theatre – Sarah, Emily, Greg, Steven, Karen… all went out of their way to help make this a success!
– Lucille Fireball was madly determined to push through feeling sick all weekend to kill her toe tap routines, and kept shoving bobby pins in my hair all night!
– Anna Sassin’ just kept handing me poker chips and saying “you have to do this now”. Thank the gods she was my project manager all night!
– The man who somehow convinced me that I had no need to panic, no
need to worry this past week, who managed to calm me when normally I’d go into full bitch mode. A huge thank you to Terry from me and ALL the Lovelies for food runs, shuttling beautiful women to and from the theatre, loading in and out, creating beautiful signage, showing up in a bow tie and a smile, and making sure our glasses were always full.
My heart is so full it could burst right now. I am thrilled so many of you were there with me to witness the birth of a vision. Here’s to speakeasy dreams, the continuation of live entertainment, and to living outrageously!
On the offchance you didn’t hear that it was Gene Kelly’s birthday today, we’re sending some celebration your way! Here is just a smattering of the very best videos of our dear Mr. Kelly — one of the most athletic and graceful dancers to have ever lived and a true triple threat!!
Check out all the amazing stars who had the opportunity to share the stage with him — we’d be completely star struck if we’d ever had the chance to meet him.
Happy birthday, Mr. Kelly. Enjoy that giant tap jam up in the sky!
I have so much to say about the work Savion is doing and how important it is, but I don’t have time to dive in today. As his contemporary and someone who has shared studio time and the stage with him, I believe he is a key player in keeping the tap community from splitting into camps like it did in the early 20th century.
Just watch this clip from NBC last night and decide for yourself.
So, maybe I’ve been living under a rock, but I’ve never heard of this a cappella group, Range, until I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole tonight. If you have heard the Hamilton soundtrack, this is a mindblowing mashup of all the songs in the musical in exactly 7 minutes. For me, the things that make it so incredible are the layering of songs and the beautifully unique tone each singer has. It helps that they’ve shot this video so artistically — with great angles and lighting and costuming. So inspired.